For individuals and families wanting to improve their health through diet and lifestyle management Homewood Family Medicine is here to provide the support you and your family need. Consultations include assisting and guiding clients in making healthier choices at home, in restaurants and at work, with the goal being to feel better and more energetic and to improve overall health.
Research shows that eating the right nutrients and having enough fiber in your diet can reduce your risk of developing certain diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Some diseases, including diabetes and high blood pressure, often can be successfully treated and managed with diet or a combination of diet, exercise, and medication.
For those who are interested in weight loss, we take an approach of reaching not just a number on the scale, but a more holistic goal of improved health. Many things affect our weight: quality and quantity of foods, stress level, amount of sleep each night, and exercise.
WHAT ARE THE KEYS TO A HEALTHY DIET PLAN?
Your daily diet and physical activity are important to your health. Research shows that what you eat can affect how you feel today and in the future.
THREE KEYS TO A HEALTHY DIET ARE:
- Making smart choices from each food group, including fruits, vegetables, grains, dairy products, meat or other protein-rich foods, and fats
- Finding a balance between how much food you eat and your physical activity
- Getting the most nutrition from your calories
Conditions We Treat
- Appetite and eating disorders
- Cardiovascular disease
- Developmental disorders
- Diabetes (Type 1, Type 2 and gestational)
- Failure to thrive
- Food allergies
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Overweight and obesity
- Swallowing problems
Nutrition Services & Treatments
We provide personalized counseling for:
- Nutrition that promotes health and reduces your risk for chronic disease
- Pregnancy and lactation
- Pre-or post-surgical nutrition
- Sports nutrition
- Tube feeding/parenteral nutrition
We also provide medical nutrition therapy, which includes:
- A review of what you eat and your eating habits
- An assessment of your nutritional health
- A personalized nutrition treatment plan